Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Post 2, Departure

Hey guys this is a belated post from when I was still in New York before I flew to Africa.  I haven't had internet since then so I will hopefully post more soon to update you all on my last couple of weeks.

I am about to embark upon the great journey for which I have striven for many months.  Or at least, I think I am.  I guess it still hasn’t really hit me yet.  I just arrived in New York City and am staying on Long Island for about the next 24 hours.  Then, I take a red eye straight to Senegal.  With all of the preliminary traveling and excitement, I am still remarkably calm.  No waves of anticipation are washing over me.  I think the only thing I am truly feeling is hunger, since I haven’t had a real meal today.
I guess what I am trying to convey is that I am surprised at my lack of emotion, considering all of the preparations that I have made for the last 6 months, all of the goodbyes I have said over the past weeks, and the fact that I am going to be living in a different country for the next 2.5 years.  Perhaps it is because I know that I cannot predict how things will be for me in the upcoming months that I am at peace with my path.  I have been mentally prepared for being a Peace Corps volunteer for years.  The thought of moving to a completely different place and living a more basic and rewarding lifestyle completely appeals to me. 
I think I am quite ready for another adventure. 

A trip, a safari, an exploration, is an entity, different from all other journeys.  It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness.  A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike.  And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless.  We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.


Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment